Acute Effects of Elastic Bands on Power Characteristics During the Deadlift

Authors:

Kyle Davis, RoQue Harmon

Mentors:

  • Lee Brown, Professor of Kinesiology, California State University, Fullerton
  • Jared Coburn, Professor of Kinesiology, California State University, Fullerton
  • Andrew Galpin, Assistant Professor of Kinesiology, California State University, Fullerton

The use of elastic bands in combination with free-weight has been reported to be an effective tool for enhancing force and power values during the back squat. However, less is known regarding the acute effects of elastic bands when performing the deadlift exercise. Purpose: The purpose of this study was to examine the acute effects of elastic bands on peak force (PF), average force (AF), relative force (RF), rate of force development, peak velocity, average velocity, peak power, average power, and relative power during the deadlift exercise. Methods: Eight men (24.5±1.0y; 182±1.3 cm; 80.2±1.9 kg, deadlift 1RM = 203.4±24.2 kg) completed three conditions at 60% 1RM in random order including: two variable resistance conditions and one traditional free-weight condition (NB). Variable resistance condition one was performed such that 80% of the total resistance came from traditional weight plates and the remaining 20% came from the bands (B1). Variable resistance condition two utilized the same concept, except had a higher percentage of resistance coming from bands (65% from weights, 35% from bands) (B2). All of the resistance during NB came from free-weight plates. The average resistance over the entire deadlift movement was equated for all conditions. Results: None of the power or velocity measurements differed between any of the conditions. However, peak (NB=2,534±292N, B1=2,504±294N, B2=2,459±290N), mean (NB=1,693±253N, B1=1,659±255N, B2=1,616±252N), and relative (NB=19.8±2.3N, B1=19.3±2.4N, B2=18.9±2.3N) force differed significantly between all three conditions such that the great percentage of resistance coming from bands, the lower the force production (NB>B1>B2). Discussion: The results of this study suggest that when lifting at relatively low intensities of 60% 1RM, power and velocity are not altered by the addition of band tension; whereas force decreases as the amount of physical bar weight at rest decreases.


Presented by:

RoQue Harmon

Date:

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Poster:

59

Room:

Poster Session 2 - Villalobos Hall

Presentation Type:

Poster Presentation

Discipline:

Sports Medicine